If you are new to the world of Kratom, one of the most important things you’d wish to know is the right Kratom dosage, and because you’re reading this article, consider yourself lucky as we are here to help. Kratom, also known as Mitragyna speciosa, is a tropical evergreen plant that grows wildly in Southeast Asian countries such as Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia.
This tree is in the same family as coffee, and once ingested, its alkaloids bind with your body’s receptors to generate a combination of stimulating and sedating effects that vary depending on the Kratom dosage and strain. Kratom contains phytochemical attributes like flavonoids, triterpenoids, and secoiridoids compounds, but it’s the active ingredients such as 7-Hydroxymitragynine and Mitragynine that are responsible for various pharmaceutical benefits.
Kratom Dosage Guideline Chart
Premium Quality Kratom (oral dosage)
- Threshold – 2-4 grams
- Mild – 3-5 grams
- Moderate – 4-10 grams
- Strong – 8-15 grams
- Very strong 12-25 grams
Ultra-Potent Kratom (oral dosage)
- Threshold – 1-3 grams
- Mild – 2-4 grams
- Moderate – 3-7 grams
- Strong – 6-10 grams
- Very strong – 8-16 grams
Kratom Extract (oral dosage)
- Threshold – 1 gram
- Mild – 1-2 grams
- Moderate – 2-4 grams
- Strong – 3-6 grams
- Very strong – 5-8 gram
- Threshold – The effects can be apparent but subtle
- Mild – The effects are stimulant-like
- Moderate – The effects can either be sedative-euphoric-analgesic or stimulant like
- Strong – Effects are sedative-euphoric-analgesic. This dosage is too strong for sensitive people
- Very strong – The effects are sedative-euphoric-analgesic, and is generally too powerful for most people
Understanding the Principles of Correct Kratom Dosage
When consuming any substance, it is essential to take the right dosage. It is even more important when consuming Kratom because the effects can vary on the dosage. There are various factors that affect the use of Kratom, such as body mass, tolerance level, and method of intake.
There are different strains of Kratom and forms of intake, and whether you’re interested in an extract, enhanced product, or regular Kratom, you should consume the right dosage according to your needs and desired effects. Also, due to various Kratom metabolisms, it’s up to you to find your optimal dosage, and this means experimenting with different strains and varying dosages until you find your ‘sweet spot.’
As a beginner, you should start with small to moderate dose as you examine or assess your body, and if need be, increase your dosage gradually according to what you’re experiencing provided it’s within the recommended range. Later on, you will be able to understand how your body reacts to a specific dosage, and that way, you’ll quickly determine the best Kratom dosage that suits your needs.
How to Measure Kratom Dosage
Powdered Kratom is the most common form of Kratom due to its high potency, low cost, and widespread availability. In this form, it can be difficult to monitor your usage, and to avoid overdosing, you should use a scale that can measure as little as one gram. There are modernized, correct, and cost-effective scales in your nearby store, and getting one can help in measuring and consuming the correct Kratom dosage.
Measuring Kratom using its volume can be deceiving in comparison to when measured using weight because the amount a provided volume has depends on how thinly ground it is. A teaspoon of finely ground Kratom weighs more than a teaspoon of coarsely ground or crushed Kratom powder. Similarly, a teaspoon of finely powdered Kratom weighs about 2 grams and that of roughly ground powder can weigh up to 2.25 grams.
A tablespoon has about three teaspoons, and this means that a tablespoon of a finely ground Kratom powder can weigh up to 6-7 grams on a standard scale. This is a middle-sized Kratom dosage that can be a moderate dosage for a low potency kratom and a strong dosage for a high-potency Kratom. Roughly ground Kratom leaves weigh less than finely powdered leaves measured using the volume. Similarly, loosely crushed leaves will weigh less depending on how coarsely or finely they have been crushed.
Effects of Kratom According to Dosage
Kratom is a unique herb whose active alkaloids Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine have effects that can either be sedative or stimulating. At low dosages, Kratom offers stimulating effects, and at higher dosages, it provides sedating effects. As a rule of thumb, it’s worth mentioning that the predominant effects depend on dosage and individual differences among users.
- The stimulating level – This level is attained after the users consume low Kratom dosage. The result is that physical energy is increased, the mind becomes more alert, sexual performance is improved, the motivation to work repeatedly is enhanced, and you become more friendly, sociable and talkative.
- The sedative-euphoric-analgesic level – You can easily attain this level if you consume high Kratom dosage. A few minutes after ingestion, you’ll feel calm, relaxed, reduced sensitivity to physical or emotional pain and the feeling of pleasure will be enhanced. You may also feel nausea which can easily subside once you lie down and relax.
People have different sensitivity to Kratom and may experience different effects depending on the plant source and the potency level. Therefore, these dosages are just a rough estimation, and you should work your way out to find the dosage that works best on you according to your needs.
If one batch of Kratom isn’t working for you, don’t give up on this magical plant. Instead, try a different strain and assess whether it can offer the effects you’re looking for. As a guideline, start with a low dosage and increase gradually until you obtain the perfect strain with the desired level of effects.
When sampling a new batch of Kratom, play safe, and avoid taking a strong, or too strong dose to prevent feelings of nausea. Besides, you can experience adverse reactions after taking very strong doses, especially if you’re hypersensitive to Kratom. Some of the most common side effects of Kratom are loss of appetite, sleeplessness, runny nose, and lack of focus, which can go away quickly after taking plenty of water.
If you consume Kratom and fail to notice any immediate effects, don’t be too quick to top up the dose. This is because there are some factors that delay the effects, such as a recent heavy meal and capsules swallowing, which may take time for the stomach acid to dissolve the vegetarian/cellulose-based capsules. Therefore, give your body some time to absorb the active ingredients, and if there’s no effect an hour after consuming a low-moderate dose, increase your dose by utmost 0.5 grams.
Kratom Dosage: Tips for Taking Safely and Effectively
- Start small – Everything has its beginning, and if someone tells you that they take mild or moderate Kratom dosage, that doesn’t mean you should take that as well. You must understand that two people can experience the same thing, but there are some instances when your experience may not be the same as someone else’s. This is because some factors such as brain composition, body mass index, blood viscosity, and genetic formalities differ. If taking Kratom for the first time, start with low dosages and increase step by step until you get the right dose according to your desired effects.
- Do not overdo it – When taken responsibly, Kratom can be helpful for your mental, physical, and social wellbeing. However, it can be unsafe, especially when taken in high doses. It is, therefore, recommendable to start with low doses, and as soon as your body gets used to that dosage, increase the amount bit by bit. Also, keep a record of the frequency and duration of your usage.
- Drink water – Kratom belongs to the coffee family, and after taking it, you are likely to experience dehydration. To maintain the balance of your body fluids, drink as many as eight glasses of water before taking Kratom; otherwise, you’ll feel nauseated.
- Understand the mechanism of your body – People are different and the mechanism in which Kratom reacts in people’s bodies is different. When taking Kratom, examine how your body reacts after ingestion and adjust accordingly. Taking Kratom on an empty stomach has more significant effects compared to taking it after meals. Also, Kratom powder has greater effects than capsules and, therefore, understand your body’s mechanism and ingest it responsibly.
- Be versatile – There are different Kratom strains, and interestingly, each strain has unique properties and effects on your body. You should try different strains and decide which one to use according to your needs. As always the case, be flexible and cautious when experimenting with new strains. This might take some time, but with patience, you’ll find the right dosage that will benefit your health and life in general.
- Take on an empty stomach – When you have nothing in your stomach, a low dosage can take a shorter time for it to be absorbed in your system. On the other hand, a full stomach requires a higher Kratom dose, which can as well take a longer absorption time. However, it is not advisable to take it on an empty stomach as you can experience stomach upset or nausea.
- Keep a log – A log helps you to keep records of your first experience with each Kratom strain, such as the dosage you took and when you took it. You can as well keep notes on your feelings and thoughts as you have them. This makes it easier for you to build on each experience, meaning that every time Kratom consumption becomes better for you.
- Use a quality source – Kratom has been used as a medicinal herb in Southeast Asian countries for ages. It was introduced to the western nations a few years back, and some vendors take advantage of the fact that most people have no idea about Kratom and thus sell substandard products. You can only experience the effects and benefits of this magical plant without overdosing if, and only if you buy high-quality Kratom from reputable vendors.
Just like coffee, your body can easily build a tolerance to Kratom and hence advisable to cycle your Kratom use. Also, it is not recommendable to take Kratom every day as this can lead to Kratom tolerance. Therefore, you should take Kratom at least two days off a week and cycle various strains. For instance, you can switch between green, white, and red each day or each week, to reduce tolerance build-up. Most importantly, if you realize that your typical dosage is not effective anymore, opt to cycle strains to avoid tolerance, instead of increasing the dosage.
Types of Kratom
There are various strains of Kratom, which can further be divided based on the natural vein color of the leaf. Each color produces unique benefits and effects, meaning that different Kratom dosages are ideal for different colored strains. Besides, all Kratom strains are suitable for specific purposes, and it’s okay to try different strains and choose one depending on your unique needs. There are three types of Kratom, namely green, white and red-veined, and because we want you to take the right dosages, the following is a general guideline for the three colors.
Best Dosage for Red Kratom Strains
Red vein kratom strains are distinguished with red-colored veins in their stems and leaves. This type is the most popular and sought after strain and sells more than white and green-veined combined due to its availability and ability to give classic effects to the users. Red Kratom is the go-to type for beginners as it provides nuanced calming effects. Once consumed, it can boost your moods, relax the mind, aid sleep, and relieve the sharp pain.
Best Dosage for Green Kratom Strains
Green vein Kratom can provide a mix of stimulant and sedative effects. It gives significant mood-boosting effects, mild energy-boosting effects, and increases your concentration and focus. Besides, it can be useful for relieving mild pain, easing stress and anxiety, and increasing your levels of energy to help you complete your everyday tasks comfortably.
Best Dosage for White Kratom Strains
White vein Kratom strains are excellent for stimulation, energy-boosting, and mood enhancement. Thanks to these effects, white-veined Kratom can energize and motivate you to work harder without feeling exhausted.
It’s worth mentioning that the effects of Kratom strains can vary depending on its location, climatic conditions, and how it was grown. This means that all the red-veined Kratom strains may not work the same, and so are the white and green types.
Dosage for Anxiety
Kratom can successfully treat mental and physical symptoms of anxiety. According to research, anxiety is a complex condition, which means that the dosage varies depending on how severe the symptoms are.
If you are likely to attend an event you think will be stressful, such as a presentation or meeting, taking high Kratom dosage before such events can help to control symptoms of anxiety. Low Kratom dosage when used regularly, can help you achieve optimal daily effects, but you can increase if you expect to have increased symptoms of anxiety.
Dosage for Depression
Kratom is a perfect mood enhancer which can successfully treat depression. But, you should understand that there’s a difference between feelings of depressive disorder and sadness.
Dosage for Pain Relief
Chronic pain is very common and affects approximately 1.5 billion people across the world. In the U.S alone, chronic pain is the primary cause of disability and affects more people than cancer, heart disease, and diabetes combined. Opiates are used for pain relief, but given that they cause severe side effects, health professionals recommend Kratom as the best natural alternative.
The leaves of Kratom are rich in alkaloids Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine, which bind to the kappa, delta, and mu-opioid receptors to repress sensitivity of pain in your body.
Dosage for Stimulation
Kratom has stimulating effects and gives the user motivation and energy to get everyday tasks done. Mild Kratom dosage is ideal for getting the optimal stimulation effects and should be taken in the morning to improve focus and motivation. Higher doses should be avoided as they can result in sedative effects and make the user feel sleepy.
Dosage for Sedation
People take Kratom for various reasons, and one of the most celebrated benefits of Kratom is its ability to produce sedative effects. These effects can help the user to relax and calm both the mind and body.
How long does it take for Kratom to take effects?
Once you take Kratom in your most preferred form, the effects are likely to begin about 10-15 minutes later. For a small Kratom dosage, the effect can last for nearly two hours while that of a higher dosage lasts for as many as eight hours.
Half-life of Kratom
It is common for people to ask how long Kratom can stay in their systems if they were to use it. A Kratom dependent person who wants to stop using it might be worried about the withdrawal effects and when they are likely to begin. Also, someone else looking forward to getting a dream job may ask how long Kratom stays in the system in case of a drug test.
Well, according to research, the primary alkaloids in the leaves of Kratom, Mitragynine has a half-life of approximately 23.24 hours. Therefore, it can take an entire day for you to eliminate 50% of Kratom in your body and more than five days on average to completely clear Kratom from your system. However, depending on the dosage and how often you take Kratom, the fastest Kratom half-life can take 1.6 days for full elimination and nine days for the slowest half-life spectrum.
What Influences how long Kratom stays in your system?
- Age – Older Kratom users have a longer elimination half-life than their younger counterparts. Most substances ingested orally by older people have a longer elimination half-life, due to various factors such as age-related physical changes, renal function, and continuous use of other medications. This means that if you are 65 years and above, Kratom can stay longer in your system than a younger person who takes the same dosage as you.
- Body Fat – Body fat is yet another important factor that determines how long it takes for Kratom alkaloid to be eliminated from your system. Alkaloid Mitragynine is fat-soluble, and therefore, individuals with a high percentage of body fat will retain Kratom metabolites for a longer period than a person with a lower body fat percentage. Most importantly, people with less body fat excrete Kratom quickly because it isn’t stored in fat.
- Genetics – There are specific enzymes and genetic markers that determine how long it would take for Kratom to be eliminated from the user’s body.
- Food and Water Intake – When you take a meal with high-fat content, Kratom will be absorbed quickly in your system, and this can eventually speed up how long it takes for the substance to reach its peak levels. Also, if you’re properly hydrated, Kratom can be excreted through urine quickly.
Other factors that determine how long it takes for Kratom to stay in your system include your metabolic rate, urinary pH, and renal function. Most importantly, it can also be dependent on Kratom type, the plant from which the leaves are harvested, and the dosage.
Where and How to Store Kratom
Even though Kratom is a resilient plant, it should be stored in an ideal environment. This is because active ingredient Mitragynine in Kratom can gradually transform into another compound known as Mitragynine pseudoindoxyl, which has minimal effect on your body. After transformation, you will be forced to take a higher Kratom dosage without effect, and the more you top up, the easier it becomes to build up a tolerance. So how can you keep it safe and take the right dosage for your needs? Let’s find out.
For daily users – To keep its effectiveness and potency, powdered Kratom can be stored in a cool environment free from humidity, oxygen, and ultraviolet light. Kratom herb can be placed in an airtight bag for optimal freshness and stored in a cupboard. If you love tea, prepare it using the recommended dosage of Kratom powder and store it in a freezer and heat up later when you need it.
Kratom has been used as a medicinal herb for hundreds of years in regions where it grows naturally. Thanks to the advanced technology, it is available across the world and you can order the strain of your choice with just a few clicks. When you finally get a hold of the Kratom you ordered, don’t be too excited to consume irresponsibly. You should use the correct Kratom dosage by starting small and finding your ‘sweet spot’ that will guide you on the amount you should take according to your needs.
Kratom should be used in the right doses as too much of it can open the door to various adverse reactions, some of which can be seriously fatal. If you are new to the world of Kratom, we hope that this information will guide you as you try to find your ideal dosage to satisfy your desires. As a rule of thumb, make it your priority to buy Kratom from verified and trustworthy vendors.