You might’ve taken a ton of kratom through experimentation or by accident which resulted in you experiencing a kratom “hangover”. Maybe you want to know if kratom is good for other types of hangovers. Well, you’re in the right place because I’ll be telling you everything you should know about kratom hangovers and more.
Taking too much kratom can cause a kratom hangover. The side effects of a kratom hangover consist of feeling dizzy, nauseous, and can make it difficult for you to get up the next morning. One way to avoid a kratom hangover is to take a smaller dosage amount than was previously taken. Staying hydrated can help alleviate some of the side effects.
Here are all of the details!
Does Kratom Give You a Hangover?
The thing about kratom “hangovers” is that it’s not like getting a hangover from alcohol. Drinking too much kratom can cause some side effects that can be felt the next morning.
Now, not everyone experiences a kratom hangover. It’s actually debatable but there are many who claim they have experienced it first-hand. Below are some of the symptoms of a “hangover” from kratom.
Signs of a Kratom Hangover:
- Dry mouth
These are common side effects of kratom in general. The difference is that some users don’t report feeling these until the next day or hours after drinking their kratom tea.
Be aware that these are not very common, so it’s not likely you’ll experience this every single time you indulge in kratom. It’s not like alcohol where it’s very likely you’ll experience a hangover the next day.
How to Cure a Kratom Hangover
There isn’t a “cure” for a kratom hangover, but there are ways to minimize the nasty side effects you might be feeling the next day.
Here are some tips to try if you’re experiencing the repercussions of over-indulging in kratom
- Hydrate. It’s pretty normal to experience dehydration or dry mouth from too much kratom. Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day to help hydrate the body and cleanse it.
- Don’t consume more kratom. If you’re experiencing the “hangover”, it’s probably you’re body telling you it was too much. Try giving your body a break from the kratom. I can’t say that more kratom will make it worse, but it might intensify the headache or nauseous feeling you might be experiencing.
- Eat light meals. One of the side effects is a nauseous or upset stomach. Try eating light foods and meals. Some fruits and veggies wouldn’t hurt to help ease any feelings of queasiness.
- Try OTC meds if your headaches are bad. Treating a bad headache can be difficult without pain-relievers. If it’s interrupting your day, try some over-the-counter medications to alleviate the headache.
- Exercise or take a cold shower to wake up. You might wake up feeling very tired. Don’t let that stop you from being productive throughout the day. I recommend getting up and doing a quick exercise or taking a cold shower to wake yourself up and stop the fatigue from prolonging your recovery.
One other tip you might want to try is a natural detox drink to cleanse your system. I like to mix cold water with fresh lemon juice, mint, and cucumber to help detox my body. Give it a try!
How Long Do Kratom Hangovers Last?
There’s no say on how long a kratom hangover will last. It really varies from person to person.
I remember when I took too much kratom and the next day I felt super tired and had a headache for a few hours after I woke up. I avoided kratom and tried my best to hydrate and rest. It might last a few hours or even half of your day. It all depends on how your body handles the side effects.
Try some of the tips above to help get you through.
Avoiding a Kratom Hangover
There are some ways you can avoid the side effects of taking too much kratom. As I mentioned earlier, it doesn’t happen all the time but it’s possible if you’re not being careful.
Here are some of the ways you can avoid a kratom hangover and side effects:
- Take small dosages- The number one reason people experience a kratom hangover is taking too much. Some users will take over 10 grams! That’s quite a lot. Try sticking between 2-5 grams. If you’re new, start off with 1-1.5 grams and then increase by 0.5 grams until you reach the effects you like.
- Drink your kratom tea slower- If you’re chugging lots of kratom, then the effects might hit you instantly and cause you to feel nausea or even vomit. Take time to enjoy your kratom. Don’t force it down if it’s too much.
- Use high-quality kratom- A bad batch of kratom can give you a bad experience. Make sure you’re buying from a reputable vendor who sells clean and natural kratom products. Don’t buy from sketchy places that’ll give you a weird and cheap blend of kratom and mystery powder.
Can Kratom Help With an Alcohol Hangover?
It can go both ways. Some users describe that it didn’t help them at all and even made it a little worse, while others said it really helped them with the psychological aspect and headaches of a bad hangover.
In my opinion, it might help a little bit but I would assume it could make your headache, nausea, or dehydration worse. You might be better off drinking plenty of water and eating the B.R.A.T (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) diet.
Reddit Experiences with Using Kratom for a Hangover
Here are some Redditer’s experiences with using kratom for an alcohol hangover.
“I’ve found that it’s hit or miss (this may be due to the specific strain). For example, I had a bit of a hangover today so I took my normal dose of White Vietnamese, so far I’m up and moving around but my head is still bothering me just a bit so I would say it made me 85% better.
Last time I was hungover I took Red Hulu Kapus, normally it gives me energy but with the hangover it made me feel better (95%) but also made me very tired (could have been that I didn’t sleep well from the headache). After a 2 hour nap I was back to 100%.
It’s worth noting that I always add a 5 hour energy and a couple of bottles of water (which you should be drinking anytime you take Kratom) so that may have something to do with the energy levels.” -JEEPERS183
“Results vary. yes, it will make you nauseous if you take it earlier. It can make you dizzy. But it knocks out the headache part of hangovers pretty well.” -TrollierThanThou
“I prefer reds for that. They help relieve the discomfort/pain (headache, soreness from sleeping heavily without moving) and anxiety that I get from a hangover, and can help with taking a nap to sleep it off. Just make sure to stay hydrated and replenish the electrolytes, vitamins, & minerals that you depleted by drinking (B vitamins, potassium, magnesium). And be aware that kratom is processed by the liver, so you may not want to take too much, since your liver is already overworked & recovering from the effort of processing acetaldehyde into acetate during alcohol metabolism.” -evincarofautumn
Choosing the Right Kratom Strain
If you want to avoid a kratom hangover or side effects or want to try kratom for an alcohol hangover, your best bet would be to buy a red kratom strain.
Red kratom strains are a lot more relaxing and soothing. The green and white strains tends to be more stimulating and are usually the ones to cause side effects.
Your chances of experiencing side effects are less if you start with a low dosage, but it does sometimes happen. However, don’t let that stop you from trying any green or white strains in the future! You’ll be sure to find a kratom strain that’s right up your alley.