The amount of people that are finding out about kratom is astonishing. I can happily say that the kratom community is growing, which means the curiosity is increasing as well. I’ll tell you the basics of what you need to know about the red and green kratom strains and how they differ in this short and easy read.
Red kratom is a red vein kratom strain that is more relaxing, sedative, and soothing. Green kratom strains are considered to be energizing, stimulating, and relaxing. Both red and green kratom strains might be ingested similarly, but the effects might require slightly different dosage amounts.
Let’s get right into the key differences!
Main Differences Between Red Kratom and Green Kratom
There are three main kratom categories/strains: red, white and green. The two most popular of the three are definitely the red and green kratom strains.
You might be thinking, aren’t they the same thing? Well, they can give similar effects. But, there have been a lot of kratom users (including myself) who notice differences between the two in terms of effects, taste, and dosages.
Red kratom strains tend to be a lot more sedative, relaxing, and soothing. Although some specific red kratom strains may give off stimulating effects, the majority of long-term users like to go for the red kratom if they’re looking to feel relaxed and tranquil. It’s the perfect option if you’re just getting into kratom or need it for an evening break.
Green kratom is a bit odd. The effects are a lot like red and white strains. You can expect green kratom to be stimulating, more energizing, euphoric, and relaxing at the same time. Some super potent green strains aren’t the best if you’re looking to take a nap right after, but they can help give you a stimulating boost. These strains are best for those who need help concentrating and focusing on their work. It’s also a great option if you want a nice pick-me-up during the day.
Yes, kratom in general is bitter and not the best in terms of taste. There are some who have stronger tastebuds that can tell the difference between the two.
Red Kratom tends to be a little more palatable and less bitter than green and white kratom strains. Some describe it as being more “earthy”.
Green Kratom is often more bitter and unpleasant. It’s like an awful matcha/green tea flavor that can be hard to take without scrunching your face. But, the effects make it so worth it!
The dosages for each will greatly vary from person to person. I highly suggest beginners to start with 1.5 grams of kratom powder, and then increasing by 0.5 each time until you reach desired effects. As a general recommendation, I’ve created a quick list of different dosages and the possible effects for the red and green kratom strains.
Red Kratom can be a lot more relaxing and sedative than a green or white strain. In general, you can get away with 0.5-1 gram more than your usual dosage for the other two strains. You can always up the dosage if you find that you really want to relax and plan to sleep a couple houts after.
- 1.5-2 Grams – This is for beginners. It typically provides more mild effects.
- 2-4 Grams – A moderate dose. It can provide relaxing yet mood lifting effects that are just a notch up from the mild effects.
- 5-7 Grams – For more experienced users who really need to feel soothed and relaxed. In some cases, this dose might feel somewhat stimulating (depending on the batch)
- 7-10 Grams – This is not recommended, but it can create intense feelings of sedation.
Green Kratom tends to be a lot more stimulating and energizing than most red kratom strains. For this same reason, I often suggest take 0.5-1 gram less of what you’d take for a red kratom strain. Of course, you can always increase if need be.
- 1-1.5 Grams – For beginners. It’ll produce mild effects that could feel more like moderate effects to those who have a really low tolerance.
- 2-3 Grams – This is typically the dosage amount that allows users to feel a euphoria and moost boost.
- 4-5 Grams – This dosage amount gives pretty strong effects, if you’re taking a more potent green kratom strain. You can expect to feel a lot more energized and/or focused.
- 6-7+ Grams – I don’t recommend taking this amount, but it can give either really strong stimulating or sedative effects. Side effects might also arise, like jitteriness or increased anxiety.
What is Red Kratom?
When it comes to a kratom color strain, there are two theories as to how the color strains are determined. One is that they are described by the veins on the leaves. The second is based on the drying process of the leaves after they’ve been picked.
I believe both are correct. This is because there are kratom leaves that have red veins along with the leaf. But, their red color is more apparent by the way they are dried and for how long. Red kratom strains are considered to be the most “mature”. These leaves are picked after a long time of growing. The drying process might occur multiple times too. This gives the red kratom strains a slight red hue.
The red kratom strains are typically best for those who want something more relaxing and soothing. This makes red kratom a perfect evening strain.
My personal favorite: Red Maeng Da.
What is Green Kratom?
Green kratom strains can get their color from how mature the leaf is. Usually, green kratom strains are the second most mature leaves. They aren’t as young as white kratom, and not as mature as red kratom. It’s also been said that Green Kratom strains are a mixture of white and red strains.
This a huge possibility, as the green strains have a mixture of both effects. Green strains are typically more relaxing and stimulating. They’re also more euphoric and perfect for daytime use.
My favorite: Green Maeng Da.
Reddit Reviews for Red Vs Green Kratom
After scouring my favorite Reddit forums on kratom, I found some user’s opinions and experiences about red and green kratom that I think would really help.
Here are what real kratom users are saying about the two as well as what they like and don’t like:
“I’ve found red to be the most sedating, which can be nice at times. A good red to try is red borneo. White vein is the most stimulating so it can help you get to work if you need to. Be careful not to take too much of white vein otherwise you might feel tweaked out. I almost never choose white vein.green malay is a favorite of mine. it has a great balance of stimulation and relaxation, and it helps my concentration by increasing my interest in what I’m doing while decreasing restlessness. Maeng Da is a higher grade of kratom. It’s more expensive and more powerful. I haven’t had too much Maeng Da, but i’ve noticed effects similar to green malay with clearheaded euphoria. though if you take too much you may have difficulty focusing your eyes (the same goes for all of the above).” -dabbledabbledoo
“For me unfortunately, all kratom colors and strains feel the same way but in varying degrees of intensity” -nautapsycho
“I’ve enjoyed 50/50 red and green strains. Right now I’m enjoying Red Thai and green Indo. It helps with my pain, anxiety and ptsd. Blending is amazing. I very much liked Betuangie and green malay.” -purplerose504
How Long Do the Effects of Red and Green Kratom Last?
Unfortunately, there’s no exact length of how long these effects last for either of the color strains. In general, though, you can expect kratom’s effects to last anywhere between 2-4 hours.
But, there are certain strains within those color strains that last much longer than others. For example, potent strains, like Green Maeng Da, can last between 3-5 hours. Stronger strains will have a longer effect on you.
How to Boost the Effects of Red and Green Kratom
Some users want their effects to be boosted (for a stronger experience). Luckily, there are a few ways to do that…which you might even already have in your kitchen. Here are 4 ways to boost the effects of your favorite kratom strain.
- Lemon Juice- Since lemon juice is highly acidic, the enzymes within freshly squeezed lemon juice can help break down the kratom faster and get you to absorb the goodness immediately. You can add it while you’re simmering a kratom tea or add it directly in your kratom mixture.
- Grapefruit Juice- This acts similarly to lemon juice as it’s also an acidic fruit that can help your body absorb the kratom faster. This is one of the popular options too.
- Caffeine- It’s not shocking that having kratom and coffee can definitely boost its mental effects on you. You’ll be so much more concentrated, alert, and energized. If you want that, then this is a great kratom potentiator. Just keep in mind that mixing the two can cause side effects, like jitteriness and increased anxiety. Try at your own risk.
- Try the toss and wash method on an emptier stomach- Okay, so this isn’t something you add to kratom to boost its effects. But, it can help you feel the effects a lot faster. To do the toss and wash method, you get the pre-measured dose and put it directly in your mouth. Quickly wash down the bitter powder with water or juice. You should be feeling the effects within 10 minutes. An empty stomach is sure to enhance this since it’ll take less effort to break down the kratom.
Which Should You Choose?
To put it simply, if you want something to help you stay more focused and energized, go for a green strain. Want something more relaxing and soothing? Try one of the red kratom strains.
Whatever you choose, it’s all about exploration and finding what works for you and your needs. There’s definitely a kratom strain for each unique individual.